3.08 – Professional Development Plan
- PurposeThe purpose of professional development is to promote participation in activities that have the greatest impact on serving students, providing quality instruction and enhancing college operations.
- PolicyEmployees will participate in professional development opportunities on an annual basis.
- Full-time faculty are required to obtain 20 hours of professional development per academic year.
- Full-time staff are required to obtain 10 hours of professional development per calendar year. Full-time administrators are required to obtain 20 hours of professional development per calendar year.
- The employee is obligated to complete the hours required. Professional development hours will be noted on the employee’s annual evaluation.
- There are three recognized categories of professional development. Each employee is required to obtain hours from at least two of the categories.Within each category is given examples of activities and involvement that may constitute professional development for that particular category. These are provided as a guide of reference only; this is a rudimentary list and in no way should be considered comprehensive or definitive.
- Professional Improvement
- Continued education in pursuit of a supplemental or higher degree or to gain additional knowledge of subject matter related to one’s job or field of expertise.
- Course in online teaching and learning.
- Creating or learning to use computer technology related to one’s job or field.
- Participating in conferences, seminars or workshops on teaching strategies/pedagogy, job skills or administrative functions
- Writing for publication related to writer’s field of expertise. This may include journal articles, popular magazine articles, scholarly books, textbooks and other curricular materials.
- Performing original research or a constructive activity that enhances professional standing in one’s field, i.e. an art instructor may create art work, a literature instructor may write fiction or poetry, a psychology instructor may conduct experiments or offer community workshops and a science instructor may work in a research laboratory.
- Completion of continuing education classes on topics that improve job-related personal attributes or skills.
- College/Academic Involvement
- Attendance at cross-discipline activities.
- Representation at college events and activities.
- Volunteering to serve on special committees or with special groups
- Participating with students in cultural or other events that have educational impact.
- Serving state, regional or national organizations as an officer, committee chair, or attending member.
- Preparing for and presenting breakout sessions at campus, local, state, regional or national conferences/workshops/training events.
- Visiting or hosting other colleges to share academic strategies, facility design, program development, etc.
- Participating in roundtable discussions or interest groups that pertain to content or career areas.
- Leading or participating with student groups/activities.
- Community Involvement
- Leadership on local boards related to one’s field.
- Participation in civic or business group activities related to one’s job.
- Volunteering at local festivals or cultural functions as a representative of the College.
- Serving as a judge or advisor for local academic organizations or events.
- Please note: Professional Development or Continuing Education Hours required by an accrediting body may be more specific than the College requirements. Hours do not need to be obtained separately, the hours earned for an accrediting body may be counted toward your OTC hours.
- Professional Improvement
- Employees enrolled in three or more credit hours of classes related to their job or discipline or in OTL-101 will meet their professional development requirements for the fiscal year.
- All requests for professional development which involve travel will require prior submission of the Professional Activity/Travel Request form. Any requests for travel outside the state of Missouri or United States will require prior approval of the Chancellor.
- The employee’s supervisor shall make the determination regarding final approval of selected professional development activities should a question arise.
- ResponsibilitiesIt is the responsibility of the employee to complete the required professional development hours and tabulate their hours. The tabulation will be submitted with the employee’s evaluation to Human Resources.
- DefinitionsProfessional development hours: one clock hour equals one hour of professional development.
- AuthorityThis policy is maintained under the authority of the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
- Related Policies3.07 Workload and Expectations
3.08b Tuition Reimbursement Plan
3.09 Advanced Studies Policy
3.23 Educational Leave With Pay
3.24 Educational Leave Without Pay
3.46 Staff Enrollment and Tuition Exemption
- Policy approved and adopted by the Board of Trustees on 12/10/12.
- Purpose, procedures, responsibilities and definitions approved and adopted by the Cabinet on 11/27/12. Set for review on 11/27/14.
- Procedures approved and adopted by Cabinet on 08/02/2016. Set for review on 08/02/2021.