5.31 – Academic Fresh Start
Establish criteria, guidelines and processes for the administration of an Academic Fresh Start program to be used to allow returning OTC students to recover from a deficient GPA.
The policy of this college shall be to assist students who return to Ozarks Technical Community College, after an extended absence, with a Grade Point Average (GPA) that does not reflect his/her current level of maturity with respect to motivation, attitude and ability. The college has established appropriate procedures to allow eligible students to remove previous coursework in order to recover from a deficient GPA.
- Students returning to OTC after an absence of 3 years or longer (not including Continuing Education coursework), with an OTC cumulative GPA of less than 2.0, may apply for Academic Fresh Start.
- Academic Fresh Start will apply only to OTC coursework. It cannot be applied to transfer credits.
- Academic Fresh Start may be granted only once. Once applied, it cannot be undone and students cannot apply again.
- Coursework falling under Academic Fresh Start cannot be used to meet academic requirements (graduation, certification, prerequisites, etc.).
- Students who have outstanding debts owed to OTC cannot apply for Academic Fresh Start until the debt has been paid.
- Academic Fresh Start is an OTC policy and may not be recognized by other colleges or universities upon transfer.
- Students applying for Academic Fresh Start will identify a semester/year on their transcript prior to the 3-year absence. If approved, Academic Fresh Start will apply to all coursework prior to and including that semester.
a. Coursework falling under Academic Fresh Start will remain on the student’s transcript, but will not be calculated into the student’s cumulative GPA.
b. Upon re-enrolling at OTC, the student must complete 15 hours of college credit (excluding pass/fail courses) with a GPA of 2.50 or better before beginning the application process.
- Students seeking Academic Fresh Start must complete the following steps:
a. Meet with an Academic Advisor and Financial Aid Counselor prior to submitting the Application for Academic Fresh Start and obtain a positive Recommendation from both on the application form.
b. Complete the Application for Academic Fresh Start and submit to the Office of the Registrar along with:
i. A written request which includes an explanation of how previous grades are negatively affecting future educational goals and
ii. An explanation as to how your motivation, attitude and ability have changed since your return to OTC.
- The Office of the Registrar will then verify eligibility for Academic Fresh Start and notify the student in writing the results of the review.
- Students may appeal the decision of the Registrar to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. The decision of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs is final.
- The Registrar shall accept all applications for academic fresh start, including supporting documentation.
- The Registrar will review and rule on all applications for academic fresh start. The student may appeal to the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs if they feel it is necessary. The decision of the Vice Chancellor is final.
This policy is maintained under the authority of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
G. Related Policies
- Policy approved and adopted by the Board of Trustees on 12/6/08. Revision approved by the Board of Trustees on 12/6/17.
- Purpose, procedures, responsibilities and definitions approved and adopted by the Cabinet on 11/7/17. Set for Review on 11/7/19.